Swaying palm bushes and crashing waves. Turtles laying on sandy seashores. Candy shave ice and recent poke. Maui has lengthy held guests entranced by its attraction and wonder, however Hawai‘i is a lot greater than a journey playground: its historical past and tradition run deep. I believe we may spend years exploring Hawai‘i, studying about its tradition and historical past, consuming its scrumptious meals, and swimming in its heat waters, and by no means get uninterested in it.
However sufficient speaking about how lovely Maui is how a lot we adore it (severely, we may go on for days). Immediately we’re speaking all about what to pack for Maui!
Whereas this Hawai‘i packing record will cowl the specifics of what to convey and why and we’ll provide you with our solutions for what to put on in Hawai‘i, we’re not going to let you know, like, precisely how pairs of underwear to pack – we belief you may determine that out by yourself.
As a substitute, we’re specializing in the particular stuff you’ll have to make your journey to Hawai‘i as fantastic and memorable as potential – so that you don’t look again and cringe since you acquired a sunburn on day one and spent the remainder of your trip depressing. (Belief me – we’ve all been there.)
On this important Maui packing record, we’re together with the whole lot you should convey to remain cool, comfy, and blissfully un-sunburnt. Let’s go!
On the lookout for extra Maui guides or beachy packing ideas? Check out a few of our different posts:
I do know that is technically a packing information, however for those who’re questioning what to pack for Maui, likelihood is you could be questioning a few of these different questions, too! Listed here are essentially the most incessantly requested questions we get about planning a visit to Maui, Hawaii.
What’s the very best time of 12 months to go to Maui?
The most effective occasions of the 12 months to go to Maui are April by means of Might and September by means of November. Though the climate in Maui is heat and fantastic all 12 months lengthy, throughout these months there are each fewer crowds and rain is much less possible.
In case you’ll be visiting between November and March, your journey overlaps with Maui’s wet season – be sure to pack accordingly!
Is it Hawaii or Hawai‘i?
This query dives proper into the guts of the advanced historical past of Hawai’i. Legally, the state known as “Hawaii,” however the true identify of the island is Hawai‘i.
It’s an ideal instance of how america has handled Hawai‘i through the years: america invaded the Hawaiian Kingdom, overthrew its monarchy, exploited its land and other people, and has maintained dominance with a navy presence ever since – a unsuitable that has by no means been acknowledged by the USA authorities. Here is a brief history, and here is an interactive map exhibiting the consequences of colonization throughout Hawai‘i.
As a customer, it’s extremely essential to study the correct names and pronunciation of Hawaiian locations. We made many errors on our first journey to Maui, mispronouncing and misspelling issues proper and left. We later realized that our ignorance or unwillingness to study the right pronunciation was disrespectful and insulting to Hawaiian locals and residents.
What we’ve since realized is that in Hawaiian tradition, locations have tales, and studying their names honors these tales and their significance. The survival of the Hawaiian language (‘Ōlelo Hawai‘i,) regardless of legal guidelines banning the language from being taught in faculties, is a testomony to the power and cultural legacy of the Hawaiian individuals.
As soon as we realized how one can pronounce Hawaiian vowels and use the glottal cease, we practiced pronunciation on each phrase we may discover throughout our keep. Here is a fantastic primer to learning the Hawaiian language, and here is an audio guide that can assist you study among the commonest phrases.
Keep in mind, a part of being responsible tourists is to respect the locations you go to! We suggest reading this book earlier than your journey to get a a lot deeper perception into Hawai‘i, its tradition and other people, and the position tourism has performed in Hawai‘i historical past.
How lengthy do you should go to Maui?
We determined to take a 3 day journey for our first go to to Maui not as a result of we didn’t need to keep longer, however as a result of it’s SO far more inexpensive. However was our journey lengthy sufficient?
Nicely, right here’s the factor: 3 days in Maui is sufficient to modify to island time, fall in love with Maui, do a couple of must-see highlights, eat a bunch of yummy meals, after which … oh, it’s time to go residence already?? Actually?!
3 days in Maui is like an appetizer. A teaser. It is going to completely make you need to go to Maui once more. But it surely’s additionally a LOT much less expensive than a full week! Maui is a reasonably costly vacation spot, and it might find yourself being extra doable to spend a couple of 3-day weekends in Maui over the course of some years fairly than a full week.
In case you can spend a full week – 7 days, together with two journey days and 5 days of exercise – you’ll have the ability to see far more of the island!
Do you want a automobile in Maui?
Sure, you completely want a automobile in Maui! The island is sort of unfold out and rural – there’s no downtown to talk of, and it’s not walkable. Renting a automobile is not going to solely enable you see as a lot of the island as potential, however it would permit you to do one in all our favourite actions in Maui, the Street to Hana!
That mentioned, rental vehicles in Maui are PRICEY. We suggest utilizing Kayak to check offers throughout car rental corporations, together with Turo, which is a well-liked native car-share service and infrequently the most affordable choice. Check out Maui car rentals on Kayak.
Maui Journey Tip: As quickly as you get into your rental car, activate this Hawaiian Music Spotify playlist! It’s the right musical setting to the gorgeous surroundings rolling previous your home windows.
Do you’ve another assets to assist me plan my journey to Maui?
Sure! We’ve acquired an in depth Maui itinerary.
The Fundamentals: Issues to Pack for Hawai‘i
Prepared to leap in to packing for Maui? Let’s begin with a couple of primary must-haves to your journey:
- Carry-On Size Suitcase: The Away carry-on sized bag is my go-to for bringing alongside greater than I actually and never paying additional to examine a bag. It’s effectively constructed, tremendous light-weight, and sufficiently small to suit the carry-on necessities of most home finances airways. Plus, because of the versatile sides, I managed to squeeze two snorkel fins and this giant snorkel mask into it with out something breaking!
- Travel Toiletry Organizer: This hanging toiletry organizer comes with me on each single journey. The compartments assist me keep organized, it’s straightforward to hold up in a resort rest room, and it packs up into the right measurement to throw into my suitcase and go!
- Lightweight Day Bag: This light-weight backpack is ideal for some snacks, a water bottle, a bottle of sunscreen, our telephones, and no matter else we’d like for the day.
- Binoculars: Maui is likely one of the finest locations on the earth for nerding out about wildlife, so embrace your inside Lia’s Mother and get your self a pair of binoculars! They don’t need to be fancy, they only have that can assist you spot whales or lovely tropical birds. Some tour operators could have a pair of binoculars accessible to hire, however for those who convey your individual binoculars and also you’ll be lined within the occasion that completely any critter is doing something lovely inside a mile radius!
- External Battery: I take advantage of my telephone consistently whereas touring: for maps, as a digital camera, to take notes, to drag up my itinerary and trip planning doc, and to examine in again residence every time I’m on WiFi. So I at all times convey alongside this exterior battery stuffed in my day pack. It holds about 2-3 full costs and costs my telephone FAST!
- Travel Umbrella: In case you’ll be visiting Maui between November and March, you’ll be there throughout wet season and also you’ll undoubtedly want an umbrella and a raincoat! Throughout the remainder of the 12 months, I’d nonetheless suggest packing a lightweight travel-friendly umbrella in your suitcase, simply in case.
- GoPro: You didn’t come all the way in which to Maui to NOT get underwater footage of your self swimming with sea turtles, did you?? You gotta have a GoPro! They’re palms down the very best digital camera for capturing footage underwater. Simply be sure to additionally decide up the Standard Housing, the waterproof case that you just’ll undoubtedly want earlier than you go underwater! For a extra budget-friendly choice, this waterproof action camera will even do the trick.
Solar Safety for Hawai‘i
Hawai‘i is simply 1400 miles north of the equator, which implies the solar is stronger on Maui than you’re used to again residence! So solar safety is absolutely, REALLY essential to guard your pores and skin. You’ll be doing your self a favor in the long term, and in addition to – unhealthy sunburns are trip ruining.
However you may’t simply stick any previous sunscreen in your suitcase and name it a day. In 2018, Hawaii turned the primary state within the USA to cross laws banning sunscreens containing the chemical substances oxybenzone and octinoxate, which destroy coral reefs. So that you’ll should be very cautious about what sorts of sunscreen you convey. We’ve included our particular suggestions beneath!
Listed here are the necessities to convey with you in your journey to guard you from the solar:
- Reef-Safe Sunscreen: Going into the ocean? It is advisable to put on reef-safe sunscreen. Except you hate coral, fish, and likewise all of human life. Reef-safe sunscreen is designed to biodegrade and never hurt ocean life. Regular sunscreen bleaches coral and ensures humanity’s swift loss of life from local weather change. So please, for the love of society’s inevitable collapse, put on reef-safe sunscreen for those who’re going into the ocean! As a enjoyable bonus incentive, it’s truly required by regulation in Hawai‘i. Though reef-safe sunscreen is at all times mineral, not all mineral sunscreens are reef-safe! Sunscreen should use “non-nano zinc oxide” particles to be reef secure (more details here). That is my favorite reef-safe sunscreen, and I take advantage of this lightweight sunscreen from Sephora on my face.
- Mineral Sunscreen: That is the least dangerous sort of sunscreen, in response to science. Mineral sunscreens use two pure minerals—zinc oxide and titanium dioxide—as lively components. They mainly merely sit on high of your pores and skin and shield it by bodily reflecting away UV rays, like tiny little mirrors. In the meantime, common chemical sunscreen soaks into your pores and skin and results in your bloodstream (and breast milk, in response to this study) which squicks me out. Mineral sunscreens don’t soak into your pores and skin (in response to this study). So regardless that mineral sunscreens can really feel a bit heavier than chemical sunscreens, I want to make use of them anyway! I take advantage of this one for my physique, and for my face (which is extra delicate) I take advantage of this lightweight mineral sunscreen.
- Mineral Sunscreen Lip Balm: Don’t neglect to guard the fragile pores and skin in your lips from sunburn, too!
- Sun Hat: Who says solar safety isn’t cute? This comfy hat protects your face, neck, and chest from the solar and goes with each outfit. The adjustable band across the rim ensures that this hat will suit your head completely, and the neck twine means you may put on it even when it’s windy! That is my go-to on a regular basis hat.
Along with on a regular basis solar safety, you’ll need to take additional care on days you’ll be spending extra time than normal out on the water, like on a snorkeling or kayaking tour and even simply once you’ll be swimming within the warmth of the afternoon solar. I’m an enormous fan of carrying swim garments to guard your pores and skin and lower down on the quantity of sunscreen you’ll want to make use of!
- Rash Guard: I extremely suggest bringing alongside a long-sleeved rash guard, which is specifically designed for swimming in salt water. It feels the identical as swimsuit materials, dries shortly, and provides you loads of solar safety. Your arms and chest will keep protected, and for those who’re a wuss in chilly water like I’m, you’ll get a lil’ warming increase, too!
- Swim Leggings: My butt is at all times the very first thing to burn after I’m snorkeling. However swim leggings present full-coverage solar safety whereas letting you progress underwater with out restriction. Fast-drying swim leggings are designed to carry up in saltwater and chlorine, and similar to swimsuit materials, they dry shortly when you’re out of the water. I really like Waterlust’s swim leggings line as a result of the model is tremendous sustainable and helps conservation and anti-racism initiatives, plus their leggings are 100% chlorine, solar, saltwater and sunscreen resistant and made out of recycled supplies. Oh, and so they have POCKETS! Sizes go as much as 3XL.
Keep in mind: the extra your physique is roofed, the higher you’ll be shielded from the solar, and the extra environmentally pleasant your seaside trip will probably be! Psst: For extra eco-friendly and accountable journey ideas, head over to our Ethical Travel Guide.
- Journey Tip: In case you DO get sunburnt, a bottle of aloe vera will assist. However a fair higher sunburn therapy? Apple cider vinegar! It smells horrible however it works miracles to take the sting out of a foul burn and pace up the therapeutic course of. Plus, it doesn’t really feel sticky and gross in your pores and skin. I convey a little spray bottle filled with ACV on each seaside journey.
What to Put on in Hawai‘i
Whether or not you’re making an attempt to look cute or simply be comfy, Hawai‘i is the type of place that makes you need to cowl your self in flowers and tropical vegetation. Or is that simply me?
Aside from wanting just like the surroundings and perhaps attracting a chook pal, my aim for clothes in Maui is to be as not-sweaty as potential! I prefer to put on clothes that’s breezy and comfy and lets me transfer and stroll with out discomfort or restriction.
To not be a whole textile nerd (though I do have a level in vogue design, so I assume I’m licensed) however my favourite journey textiles for warm climate are linen, cotton, lyocell/tencel, wool and hemp. Search for these fibers in your clothes that can assist you keep cool and lower down on that scent you get after a sweaty day ( what I imply).
Listed here are a couple of necessities you’ll need to convey to Maui:
- Adorable Cover-Up: I reside in swimsuit cover-ups on seaside holidays. I do know they’re speculated to go over your swimsuit or no matter, however you’ll catch me carrying them in every single place! That is my favorite cover-up because of the breezy, light-weight, cloth (… and since there’s monstera leaf print). Once I’m off the seaside, I pair it with denims or shorts and a tank high.
- I’m additionally an enormous fan of rompers like this one as cover-ups, as a result of having some safety in your inside thighs cuts down on the dreaded Chub Rub
- Wear-Anywhere Sandals: In Maui, you want a pair of sandals that’s down for a day on the seaside, an extended hike, scrambling on sharp lava rock, AND a romantic night out. Fortunately, my favorite pair has been as much as each problem I’ve thrown at them for the previous 10 years (er, to make clear: I’m on pair #4 of the identical model, however nonetheless). We additionally every introduced a pair of Allbirds Tree Skippers (his, hers), that are light-weight and breathable, and ideal for warm days with numerous strolling. Plus, they’re eco-friendly! I’ve acquired extra particulars on these sandals, and my different favourite sneakers for journey, this travel shoe guide!
- The Dress: You already know what I imply after I say The Gown, proper? The Gown is the one in your closet that makes you’re feeling lovely, comfy, ethereal, and free. It’s the gown you may throw on with a pair of sandals and have a whole outfit able to go. It’s the gown you’re gonna need to put on each single day in your seaside trip. In case you don’t have The Gown but, get buying! My favourite attire, as a curvy woman, are A-line cuts with swingy skirts that hit me simply above the knee, like this one which I have in XL, or this one which is similar because the gown pictured above. Bonus factors for sweetheart necklines, travel-friendly cloth, and pockets!
- Bike Shorts with Pockets: Woman, I’m a measurement 16/18. You suppose I can simply throw on a gown and go?! HA. No. #chubrublife Beneath my attire, I put on a pair of cozy, stretchy bike shorts with pockets. They’re as near leggings as you’re going to need to get on the seaside. In case you don’t like bike shorts, at the least pack a stick of anti-chafe balm to assist with that vacation-ruining inside thigh chafe.
- Rompers: I like rompers as a result of when you throw one on, you’re carrying a whole-ass outfit! I’ve 3 of those linen-blend rompers from Previous Navy in varied colours (it also comes in plus sizing) and so they’re my go-to sizzling climate outfit! I’m additionally in love with this leaf-print romper (it matches this swimsuit!) and I put on it consistently.
- Adorable Sunglasses: Not technically clothes, however simply as essential! You’re gonna be carrying your sun shades in each picture, so the cuter, the higher. I really like these rose gold heart-shaped sunglasses that actually assist me see the whole lot by means of rose-colored glasses (ba-dum-ssh). They’re SO cute!
Water Sports activities Necessities for Maui
Water sports activities are a vital a part of visiting Hawai‘i and have an extended and storied historical past in Hawaiian tradition! Whether or not you’re making an attempt browsing or paddleboarding for the primary time, kayaking subsequent to humpback whales, or snorkeling with turtles, listed here are a couple of of the necessities you’ll want.
- Dry Bag: Don’t set foot on a ship with out placing your stuff in a dry bag, simply in case. You by no means know when a wave/rogue sea lion goes to splash your sh*t. This one is superb, with a mesh part within the entrance that we use for moist bathing fits or towels. Plus, it comes with a telephone protector too, so you may put on & use your telephone safely whereas white-water rafting, kayaking, or snorkeling!
- Snorkel Stuff: There are tons of seashores in Maui the place you may dive proper in and snorkel, no tour or information wanted! You may hire snorkel gear on the island and carry it together with you all week, however we had been glad that we introduced alongside a snorkel set and this snorkel mask, which is ridiculously wonderful (even when it appears to be like slightly ridiculous) – and also you received’t get that model of masks on any tour. If I needed to decide one merchandise to convey fairly than hire, that masks could be it. That mentioned, even for those who don’t convey your individual gear, it’s nonetheless useful to convey alongside slightly bottle of anti-fog spray in your suitcase to deal with a offered masks – I at all times appear to want it.
- Rash Guard & Swim Leggings: These will assist shield your pores and skin from the solar so that you don’t have to consider re-applying whilst you’re having fun with your self out on the water. There’s a cause you at all times see surfers carrying them!
- Water Shoes: For each minute that you just’re not carrying flippers, you’ll need to be carrying water shoes. Whether or not you’re making an attempt to stroll over one of many insanely spiky black volcanic rocks – they’re fairly, however they damage so unhealthy – or simply wading into some water (shock! extra volcanic rocks) your un-cut toes will thank me later. I swear by my trusty leather Tevas, and Jeremy likes traditional close-toed water shoes.
Seashore Necessities for Maui
There are seashores in every single place in Maui. And by regulation, they’re all open to the general public – sure, even those which might be tucked away behind luxurious lodges! So there’s a great likelihood you’ll be spending a LOT of your time in Maui enjoyable on the seaside.
A lot of parks and seashores in Maui have loos and altering services as effectively rinse stations, however you’ll have to pack the whole lot else. Listed here are a couple of necessities to convey alongside:
- Several Swimsuits: There’s a great likelihood you’ll be leaping into the water each day, so that you’ll need to convey alongside a number of pairs of swimsuits so that you at all times have one thing dry to placed on! I’m a measurement 16/18, and my favourite swimsuit is this one, which I actually have in 3 completely different colours. It’s wonderful. It’s good. It’s a freakin’ steal! I additionally love this suit, and that is my favorite one piece. For extra swimsuit picks, try my information to swimsuits for curvy girls.
- Travel Towel: There’s completely no assure that the towels at your resort are going to suit round your waist. Frankly, they not often match round my left thigh. Plus, they’re heavy and hulking and you will get in hassle for bringing them out of the resort. So simply to be secure, I at all times convey my very own travel-friendly, light-weight, quick-drying travel towel!
- Travel Clothesline: Newsflash: your resort’s moist, darkish rest room is absolutely the WORST place to hold your clothes as much as dry. As a substitute, cling this tiny travel clothesline up someplace that will get loads of airflow and sun-like on a curtain rod in entrance of the window! Your moist swimsuit and travel towel will probably be dry very quickly.
- Beach Tote: I’m a backpack woman, however that doesn’t lower it on the seaside. seaside tote will do extra than simply maintain all your stuff: it would additionally repel sand, zip closed so you may lock it whilst you swim, and even maintain your lunch chilly in a removable cooler. Sure, for actual.
- Sand Repelling Beach Mat: I hate sand SO MUCH and this mat is made with magical sand-repelling qualities. If sand doesn’t make you need to go reside in an igloo eternally, you may at all times simply use your towel as a mat as an alternative!
Maui Journey Tip: Maintain some necessities (like a travel towel, swimsuit, or dry pair of underwear) in your rental car – since you by no means know once you may see a beautiful seaside and simply have to drag over and bounce into the glowing, heat water.
Magnificence Necessities for Maui
I battle to look engaging within the warmth. I’m way more prone to appear like a sweaty, sunburnt mess with a head filled with tangles than a carefree Seashore Babe.
That mentioned, I do have a couple of tips up my sleeve after I want to drag myself collectively after an extended day on the seaside for like, a luau or no matter.
- Tinted Moisturizer: That is 99% of the make-up I put on on a seaside trip, truthfully. It’s sunscreen and basis in a single and I can’t be bothered with something extra difficult than that. (Observe: If I’m going swimming, I put on this reef-safe face sunscreen as an alternative.)
- Journey-Pleasant Make-up: If I’m making an attempt to get actual fancy I’ll throw on slightly cream blush (, for the 5 minutes earlier than I’m sunburnt) and a few waterproof mascara. And there you’ve it: my seaside trip look in a nutshell.
- Bold Lipstick: My favourite shortcut for wanting put collectively is to throw on some vibrant, daring lipstick! It immediately tips everybody into pondering you’re a make-up goddess, even when the remainder of your face is a dry, flaky mess and you’ve got a snorkel masks imprint burnt onto your brow (see pictures above). Within the winter, I’m all a few vibrant crimson lip, however on the seaside I are inclined to go for a ridiculous vibrant pink as an alternative, like this one. I want to put on long-lasting lip stains or these liquid lipsticks as a result of I’m too lazy to reapply.
- Moisturizer: My pores and skin feels SO dry after a day within the solar, so I take particular care to moisturize like loopy on seaside holidays! I lately
turned 30began a legit skincare routine and taking higher care of my pores and skin, and this Evan Healy moisturizer is my absolute HG ride-or-die favourite. I additionally like to make use of actually light-weight moisturizers in sizzling climate, like pure, light-weight argan oil which soaks proper into my pores and skin (and hair!) with out that greasy oily feeling and doesn’t break me out.
- Mineral Face Sunscreen: I’m pretty lazy in relation to skincare – I’m extremely possible to make use of a child wipe to clean my face and name it a day – however this light-weight mineral facial sunscreen is an important a part of my each day skincare routine, particularly whereas touring after I’ll be exterior within the solar all day lengthy! Vital: Ensure that to put on reef-safe face sunscreen for those who’ll be going within the water that day.
- Curly Hair Provides: Maui’s humidity does issues to my hair, and I used to dread the frizz. However I’ve lately embraced my hair’s pure texture and gone all-in on the Curly Woman Technique, so my normal low-maintenance “f**ok it, I’ll brush it after I get residence” hair has reworked into bouncy, shiny curls. Like, who am I, severely? Right here’s what I convey with me after I journey: all this product, a travel blowdryer, a travel diffuser, and a microfiber hair towel. YES I do know it’s tremendous additional. However my curls look flawless – and for the primary time in my life I’ve constantly good hair!
- Dry Shampoo: I’m gonna be trustworthy – on our final journey to Maui, I went swimming virtually each day and washing my hair gave the impression of a complete factor. So I spritzed some dry shampoo on my roots, moist my curls and re-scrunched them with conditioner, and went on my merry manner.
Able to pack your luggage whilst you sing Moana songs on the high of your lungs? Or is that simply me..? Did this submit enable you to really feel extra ready to your journey? Drop us a remark or query beneath!
Psst: Planning a visit to Hawai‘i? Try a few of our different posts!
Did you discover this submit useful? Reserve it for in a while Pinterest!