Some posts include compensated hyperlinks. Please learn this disclaimer
for more information.
When you consider a few of the beautiful places there are to see and explore in Albania, it’s hardly stunning that so many individuals are contemplating heading to the stunning Riveria for his or her subsequent summer season break, or even to Tirana for a weekend city break.
Albania is considered a Balkan country, however it’s impartial, and it has been since 1912 when the Ottomans fell. When you’re considering of jetting off to Albania for your next break, you’ll wish to know all about Albania beforehand.
You’re in luck! We’re going to cowl each known Albanian reality on the planet, so you realize precisely what to anticipate earlier than you get there! There are some attention-grabbing Albania facts for kids, some cultural information, and the whole lot in-between.
‘Inform me about Albania,’ I hear you say – Let’s dive in!
1. Through the evenings, you would possibly see one thing known as the ‘xhiro.’ That is principally when the Albanian locals exit for a stroll after dinner to burn off their excesses and meet up with the neighbors. It’s a cultural factor, and in some conventional cities, the roads are literally closed for vehicular site visitors, till individuals have completed strolling and speaking!
2. You would possibly turn into a bit confused in the event you’re speaking to an Albanian native they usually start nodding or shaking their head. It’s because the alternative is true in Albania – locals will shake their head after they imply sure, and nod after they imply no! One thing to pay attention to and one of the vital helpful Albanian tradition information.
3. There’s a mixture of religions in Albania, however the majority of persons are Muslim, at round 60%.
4. When you see a number of scarecrows, don’t fear, it’s nothing sinister! One of the vital attention-grabbing information about Albania is that locals consider in the event you web site a scarecrow within the grounds of a property while it’s being constructed, it’ll maintain jealousy from the neighbors far-off! This custom can be seen as being a great luck allure.
5. Albanians have a fame (unfairly or in any other case) as being fairly unhealthy drivers. We don’t wish to generalize right here, however there have been only a few vehicles within the nation till round 1991. So, perhaps, don’t drive in Albania, and look very rigorously earlier than crossing over the street to be protected!
6. Mom Teresa is a particular determine in Albania. Attributable to adjustments in geography over time, Mom Teresa is definitely Albanian. She was born in Skopje, which is now in Macedonia. Regardless of that, she is among the most coveted figures within the nation.
7. Mom Teresa can be the one Albanian ever to win a Nobel prize.
8. There’s a metropolis in Albania with no site visitors lights in any respect, not even one – Shkodra. That is additionally one of many oldest cities on the continent.
9. Albania was as soon as beneath Ottoman rule, then Italian rule, then communists, Russian, Chinese language, after which they achieved independence. That’s some historical past and one of the vital attention-grabbing information about Albania.
10. Albania’s highest peak is named Maje e Korabit, however it’s generally known as Golem Korab. The height is Macedonia’s highest additionally, because it sits straight on the border.
11. Tirana, the Albanian capital, has no McDonalds!
12. extra Albanians live outdoors of Albania at the moment than those that reside in it.
13. A geleshes is a sort of conventional Albanian hat that you will note in rural areas specifically. This hat has no brim.
14. There are greater than 750,000 bunkers throughout the nation. These have been initially constructed through the rule of Enver Hoxta in case of an invasion. Paranoid, maybe, as a result of they have been by no means used, and most are actually both eyesores or have been became funky museums!
15. Edi Rama, a politician, and a painter, is chargeable for the inexperienced look of the capital Tirana. He wished to make town pure and vivid and never gray and darkish like many cities that fell beneath communist rule.
16. Albania’s nationwide gown is revered, and also you’ll see it throughout necessary celebrations. Most costumes have the Albanian eagle on them and are made from silk, wool, or cotton, with embroidery.
17. When you’re supplied a glass of raki, method with warning! Raki is the Albanian national drink, and it’s a very potent alcoholic beverage. When you drink it from a bar, you’re normally comparatively protected, however in the event you partake within the home-made model from native villages, you’ll most likely have one sniff and be out chilly – it’s highly effective!
18. The commonest souvenir to take home from Albania is a pair of opinga. That is the normal Albanian shoe worn by each genders.
19. The Albanian language is like no different. Whereas it’s Classe as a European language, it has a number of completely different dialects, with the most typical being Gheg and Tosk.
20. When you like espresso, you’ll hit it off in Albania, as most individuals begin their day with a powerful cup of java. The commonest you’ll see is Turkish espresso – beware, it’s excessive and really thick!
21. After you could have had a haircut, you’ll seemingly get a slap on the neck. Don’t fear, it’s nothing private, and the stylist is prone to mutter some phrases – me shëndet. This implies in your well being’ and is definitely a blessing!
22. Nature is necessary in Albania, and the nation is house to greater than 3250 various kinds of crops. If you wish to put a quantity on it, that’s round 30% of Europe’s complete plant assortment!
23. Albanians contemplate it good luck if a chook poops on any a part of your physique.
24. Albanians additionally contemplate it good luck if a baby pees on you.
25. Round 70% of Albania is mountainous.
26. Albanians name the nation ‘Shqiperi.’
27. The nationwide tune of Albania is ‘Himni I Flamurit.’
28. Albania is a member of NATO, however it isn’t a member of the EU. Nevertheless, there are talks about altering that in some unspecified time in the future sooner or later.
29. If you’re visiting any time quickly, you’ll want to vary a few of your cash over to the nationwide foreign money – the Lek, or ALL to provide it its shortened model.
30. The nationwide day of Albania is 28 November, and that is whenever you’re prone to see the nationwide gown.
31. The biggest physique of water in Albania is the attractive Skadar Lake, an ideal place to visit for outside adventures and loads of strolling trails.
32. The whole lot of Albania is just a bit smaller than the US state of Maryland.
33. Albania was a part of the Kingdom of Italy till as just lately as 1943.
34. The Kanun is one thing chances are you’ll hear lots about. This can be a collection of customs that Albanians reside by and encompass hospitality, honor, household loyalty, and proper conduct.
35, It’s common for Albanians to splash the money (generally a complete month’s wage) when particular guests (household) go to the home for dinner.
36. The music stars Dua Lipa, and Rita Ora have Albanian roots.
37. When you’re attempting to catch a bus in Albania, you is perhaps in for a wait. Buses are known as furgons, they usually don’t go based on any schedule; they merely wait till they’re full after which go!
38. Albania is formally often called The Republic of Albania.
39. Schooling is free in Albania to kids of main and secondary faculty age.
40. The Albanian eagle has been round since 1190 when it was found on a stone carving.
41. An Albanian village known as Lazarat is known as the ‘hashish capital of the nation.’ That is the place the biggest quantity of hashish exported to the remainder of Europe is produced.
42. Speedboats are banned in Albania. This is because of makes an attempt to cut back human trafficking over to Italy and Greece.
43. There’s such a factor as ‘intercourse selective’ abortion in Albania, and it solely one in every of two nations on the planet that permits it.
44. The Albanian phrase for ‘sure’ is ‘po’.
45. The Albanian phrase for ‘no’ is ‘jo.’
46. Between the years 1941 – 1992, faith was banned in Albania whereas it was beneath communist rule. This made Albania the primary atheist nation on the planet. That has now modified.
47. You will note extra Mercedes in Albania than some other automobile make!
48. ‘Besa’ will maintain you protected in Albania, and that is an honor code which Albanians are very strict about, vowing to assist those that want it.
49. Spain isn’t the one nation to have siestas, as Albania does too! Between 2 pm to round 6 pm, many outlets shut, totally on the Riviera.
50. Just one-third of Lake Skadar, Albania’s largest lake, is definitely in Albania.
51. Albania has a really low unemployment price.
52. Albania is house to Europe’s oldest lake, Ohrid. There are lots of fossils on the backside, and it has a UNESCO tag for defense.
53. Albania has 13 small islands, however solely two of these islands are bigger than a sq. km. These ‘bigger’ islands are known as Sazan and Kune.
54. In 2009, 4 glaciers have been found within the Cursed Mountains within the north of the nation.
55. Albania is house to 91 endangered species of wildlife, together with the Dalmatian Pelican
56. Albania is house to Europe’s largest oil reserves.
57, Copper, coal, and nickel are additionally produced in massive quantities in Albania.
58. Albania is house to the most affordable and the quickest Web in the entire of Europe!
59. For followers of inexperienced power, Albania can be the planet’s single largest hydroelectricity producer.
60. The primary meal in Albania isn’t the night meal, however as an alternative at noon. This meal usually contains meat and greens. This has helped to decrease weight problems charges.
61. You’ll discover pumpkins all over the place – they’re used as a ornament!
62. The Tirana Worldwide Movie Festive was based in 2003 and is an enormous deal yearly.
63. Albania had the sixth-highest literacy stage on the earth in 2011.
64. Albania can be thought of one of many world’s most corrupt nations, alongside Ethiopia and Niger.
65, Watch out in the event you owe somebody cash, out of behavior because the change between the previous and new currencies, individuals generally add a ‘0’ onto numbers. You assume you owe 10 LEK, however they are saying 100!
66. Eggs aren’t bought by the dozen in Albania, however by 10s.
67, Meat in Albania is so recent, and it has usually been killed minutes earlier than it’s served.
68. Till 1991, Albania was extraordinarily remoted and had no allies on the earth aside from China.
69. Folklore is essential in Albanian tradition, and also you’ll hear many tales about good prevailing evil handed down the generations.
70. Euros are broadly accepted in Albania, regardless of it not being the nationwide foreign money.
71. Albanian mother and father like to act as matchmakers for his or her kids
72. Tirana Worldwide Airport was named after Mom Teresa in 2001.
73. Albania is among the few countries in the world to have by no means received an Olympic medal.
74. Albania is barely 10km away from the coast of Corfu at its closest part.
75, Norman Knowledge was thought of a cult actor through the dictatorship of Hoxha, and he was one of many only a few western actors to be proven within the nation.
76, Albania shares land borders with Greece, Macedonia, Serbia, and Montenegro.
77, 90% of Albania’s sea cargo arrives at Durres.
78. Albania has 300 sunny days a 12 months
79. A regulation was handed requiring citizens to pay taxes on traffic-lights in 1995. The residents of Shkodra have been taxed…however, they staged a protest. Why…? As a result of bear in mind Shkodra has no site visitors lights.
80. On the finish of the communist period, there have been about 3 million individuals within the nation, however there have been solely 3000 vehicles as a result of non-public vehicles have been unlawful throughout communist rule.
Most articles offer you ten information about Albania, however not us! You’ve simply been handled to 80 information about Albanian individuals, Albania historical past information, and the whole lot in-between.
Extra Distinctive & Attention-grabbing Balkans Posts