After 4 journeys to Costa Rica, I’ve realized two issues: one, my hair NEVER seems good within the jungle; and two, there are just a few important items of journey gear that can allow you to totally embrace the idea of “Pura Vida” … and stop you from spending your complete journey scratching bug bites whereas parked beneath your resort room’s A/C.
Our Costa Rica packing checklist will cowl the specifics of what to deliver and why, however we’re not going to inform you, like, precisely how pairs of underwear to pack – we belief you’ll be able to determine that out by yourself. (Rule of thumb: one per day of your journey.)
As a substitute, we’re specializing in the precise stuff you’ll must make your journey to Costa Rica as great and memorable as attainable, so that you don’t look again and cringe since you obtained a horrible ear an infection and spent the remainder of your trip depressing. (Why sure: that’s how I spent the second half of my third journey to Costa Rica.)
On this important Costa Rica packing checklist, we’re together with all the pieces that you must deliver to remain cool, comfy, bug-bite-free and blissfully un-sunburnt. Let’s go!
Want some assist packing on your subsequent journey? We’ve created 5 FREE Printable Packing Lists with all the pieces that you must plan your subsequent journey. We’ll additionally ship our favourite journey suggestions straight to your inbox! Simply join under.
Psst: On the lookout for extra journey suggestions? Take a look at a few of our different useful posts!
What to Pack Stuff In
Certain, you may get away with a suitcase stuffed with bunched-up garments, however you’ll be a lot happier with well-organized baggage – particularly in case you’re touring for an extended time frame or visiting a number of locations!
Unpacking and re-packing each few days is such a chore, and staying organized will make it a LOT much less depressing.
Right here’s what to pack your stuff in so that you keep organized and might simply transfer from place to position.
- Carry-On Baggage: For many journeys, you’ll need to pack carry-on solely to economize and problem. You don’t need to be lugging a large suitcase down a dust street from the bus station and up 3 flights of stairs! For suitcases, we’re large followers of Away carry-on luggage (we additionally love this inexpensive Away dupe). Should you desire a sturdy backpack, Lia swears by this PacSafe backpack. It’s comfy, roomy, and theft deterrent – it’s Lia’s go-to backpack for carry-on journey.
- Packing Cubes: We LOVE packing cubes. Nothing makes unpacking your stuff and placing it away once more simpler than packing cubes. To not point out it retains you organized – and sane. Even in case you aren’t a packing dice convert, we suggest rolling your clothes quite than folding it, which saves house and likewise helps forestall wrinkles. Win-win!
- Laundry Bag, Toiletry Bag, & Shoe Bag: While you’re touring, something inside your baggage is gonna get throughout all the pieces else. So we preserve them separate utilizing totally different baggage (plus packing cubes for our clothes). Our laundry goes in a laundry bag so it doesn’t get moldy or odor up our clear garments. The sneakers we aren’t carrying match into a bit of shoe bag so we don’t get no matter we’re strolling by means of throughout our stuff (gross). And this hanging toiletry bag retains our belongings shielded from leaks, spills, or moisture. FWIW, we’ve tried utilizing plastic baggage – however they tear actually simply and are quite a bit more durable to exchange whereas touring than you’d suppose! Plus, re-usable baggage are additionally extra earth pleasant.
- Day Bag: We sometimes every carry a day bag on journeys. This cute backpack is ideal for some snacks, a few jackets, a travel umbrella, cameras, telephones, and no matter we’d like for the day. It additionally doubles as our lockable carry-on valuables bag whereas on transit, which is essential for security (by no means let your passport, digital camera, or laptop computer out of your sight on journey days)! For extra energetic days, we pack up a Camelbak Hydration Pack that matches 70oz of water along with all our gear. It’s excellent for hikes or exploring on scorching days whenever you’ll want to remain additional hydrated!
What to Put on in Costa Rica
Once we pack for Costa Rica, we’re often aiming for consolation above cuteness – however I do prefer to sneak in a little bit of each every time I can!
OK hear, I’m simply gonna be actual with you: my main purpose for my clothes in Costa Rica is to maintain me from drowning in sweat (or a minimum of, assist me cool off shortly if/when I’m inevitably sweaty). Second precedence, odor (no thanks). Third precedence, truly trying cute.
One other main problem is to pack for quite a lot of actions and temperatures. On most up-to-date journey, we wanted to pack clothes for rain, the cool mountain air of Monteverde, the recent tropical rainforests of Manuel Antonio and Corcovado, mountaineering, and snorkeling/diving/swimming.
Some days, we dressed for a hike or horseback trip, became beachwear midway by means of, dried off, after which put our previous clothes on. So all of our clothes wanted to be very quick-dry and packable too (as a result of nothing makes a hike or horseback trip extra depressing than a large, heavy backpack).
However it may be achieved! We’ve obtained just a few essential solutions which are as much as the challenges of Costa Rica, and sure, a few of them are even cute.
Right here’s the very best clothes to pack on your journey (for women and men, and everybody in between)!
- Wool Clothes: Sure, significantly. Merino wool is a miracle journey material. It retains you cool when it’s scorching AND retains you heat when it’s chilly. When it will get moist, you’ll keep comfy whereas your clothes dries. It naturally resists the expansion of fungus and micro organism, so it by no means stinks – essential for journey! It’s even flame retardant. What extra may you ask for? In the present day’s efficiency wool isn’t just like the itchy wool of the previous – it’s skinny, stretchy, and tremendous tender to the contact, like cotton. We extremely suggest wool clothes for journey. Right here’s what we introduced:
- Hemp Clothes: Very similar to merino wool, hemp is a improbable journey textile. It’s additionally temperature regulating, which means it’s cool to the contact and retains you cool when it’s scorching (but in addition insulates you when it’s chilly out). It’s additionally naturally anti-bacterial, so that you received’t get that pungent “I’ve been sweating on this for every week straight” odor. And as an enormous bonus, hemp is extra sustainable than most different textiles, requiring little water and virtually no pesticides to thrive and develop. Hemp is even in a position to clear up polluted soil, making it a instrument for truly preventing in opposition to local weather change. Hell yeah! As a result of it’s not a brilliant in style textile (but), it’s a bit of laborious to seek out. Certainly one of our favourite eco-friendly clothes manufacturers, prAna, makes a fantastic hemp line – browse women’s and men’s. (Lia loves this comfy t-shirt!)
- Fast Drying Shorts (His & Hers): We’re obsessive about the Zion line from prAna, which is what our favoite mountaineering pants are constituted of. These shorts are constituted of the identical stretchy, high-tech, quick-drying material! Jeremy’s shorts double as each the shorts he wears day by day and a swimsuit. They’re a 2-for-1 (which implies much less house in your carry-on) they usually look nice, too! They dry shortly, making them excellent for hopping out and in of waterfalls, rivers, and the ocean after which resuming your regular journey actions.
- Climbing & Journey Journey Pants (His & Hers): You’re going to wish a pair of pants that serve a number of functions and are up for journey wherever: seashore, jungle, river, mountains, and metropolis. Fortunately, these superior prAna mountaineering pants had been designed with journey and mountaineering in thoughts and had been as much as each problem we threw at them. They’re additionally quick-dry, so I even wore them whereas white-water rafting and waterfall rappelling in San Gil.
- Breezy, comfy everyday pants: Permit me to introduce you to the right scorching climate journey pants! I found these wonderful pants at Outdated Navy whereas searching for my journey, and it was love at first try-on. They’re SUPER light-weight and take up little or no suitcase house when rolled up. They’re comfy and stretchy, quick-drying, and simply the fitting size. They usually’re cute as hell! I purchased a bunch of differet colours as a result of generally stuff goes out of inventory and by no means comes again, and I want these pants. (I additionally love these pants, constituted of the identical material however with vertical zippers, which can be tremendous journey pleasant. They usually are available a wider vary of sizes as much as 4X.)
Be aware: We didn’t checklist out all the pieces right here, so be sure to pack loads of fundamentals! Usually, for decent climate I actually love cotton/cotton blends and linen, along with hemp and merino.
The Greatest Sneakers to Pack for Costa Rica
From mountaineering within the cloud forests of Monteverde to canyoning and white-water-rafting in La Fortuna to exploring town streets of San Jose, we had all kinds of actions deliberate for our journey to Costa Rica.
Fortunately, we introduced alongside 3 excellent pairs of sneakers that had been up for all the pieces!
Listed below are the three important sneakers we suggest bringing with you in your journey:
- Climbing Sneakers: Should you’ll be going mountaineering like we did, we suggest a pair of light-weight path runners (His & Hers). They’re light-weight, breathe properly, and have insane grip. They had been made for working on mud, dust, and gravel, so their high quality is unbelievable. Additionally due to that, they’re excellent mountaineering sneakers. So no, you don’t must stuff your heavy mountaineering boots in your baggage!
- Teva Sandals (his & hers): When it’s scorching, we just about put on these sneakers every time we’re not mountaineering. Not solely are the comfy and rugged sufficient to stroll for miles comfy (sure, you’ll be able to even hike in them!) however additionally they double as water shoes. They are saying strapped tightly to your toes within the water and are excellent for journey sports activities like canyoning or rafting. Plus, they’re light-weight, sturdy, and cute!
- AllBirds Slip-On Sneakers (His & hers): For days whenever you don’t need to put on your mountaineering sneakers or your sandals, these are the right on a regular basis journey shoe. They’re light-weight and breathable, excellent for decent climate – and the only is constituted of merino, which implies it takes quite a bit for them to get smelly and also you don’t must put on them with socks! These are the sneakers we sometimes put on on metropolis days and journey days.
With these three sneakers stuffed into your suitcase (don’t fear, they’ll match) you’ll be greater than coated for all of your adventures!
What to Pack for Rain in Costa Rica
We booked our most up-to-date journey to Costa Rica in July, which falls squarely in the midst of Costa Rica’s wet season. However don’t fear: all meaning is that it’s just about assured to rain as soon as per day, particularly within the jungle or the rainforest.
Should you’re ready, rain on a visit is not any huge deal (and truthfully, we love a great excuse to take a seat indoors and do nothing however chill out and take heed to the rain).
Should you’re not ready, it may be tremendous irritating, inflicting you to cancel enjoyable actions and even smelling up your bag with moist clothes. Yikes!
Listed below are the three necessities you’ll need to deliver to organize for rain:
- Extremely-Gentle Rain Jackets (His & Hers): Our favourite rain jackets are among the greatest jackets for journey. They’re ultralight and pack down into nothing in order that they’re straightforward to hold round in our day baggage every day simply in case, they usually’re extremely water repellant.
- Travel Umbrella: This teeny travel umbrella is extremely light-weight, teeny tiny, and even has a useful carrying case in case that you must fold it up and shove it again in your bag. Regardless of its small dimension, it does its job effectively, and it dries shortly when it’s achieved! That stated, it’s not like .. essentially the most STURDY umbrella – tremendous excessive winds will certainly flip it inside out. However we find it irresistible as a result of it’s so small and light-weight that we simply go away it completely in our day bag and overlook it’s there till we’d like it, and we’re at all times glad to seek out it once more!
- Waterproof Socks: Should you’ll be mountaineering in rain or mud, you’ll need to pack a pair of those so that you’re not squelching round all day lengthy. We don’t carry cumbersome mountaineering boots with us, so these are welcome boost to our path runners.
Simply preserve these 3 rain necessities in your day bag every day, and also you’ll by no means be caught unprepared in a rainstorm!
Important Toiletries for Costa Rica
There’s a sure glow that we get in Costa Rica, and it’s not simply because we’re sweaty and well-moisturized. Possibly it’s one thing about waking up early, or consuming fruit all day, or respiratory within the humid tropical air – ah, no, that’s it. Humidity: one thing we don’t have in California!
The minute we disembark into the nice and cozy air of Costa Rica, my hair will get curlier, my pores and skin feels smoother, and I lose any want to put on make-up all through our journey. (And that’s coming from me, who as soon as wore a full face of make-up in the arctic.)
However you’ll nonetheless must deliver alongside just a few issues to maintain you clear and feelin’ recent!
Listed below are our suggestions for doing all your laundry on the go, staying recent ~down there, and all the pieces else you’ll must not appear to be a scorching mess.
- Travel Toilet Paper Roll & Hand Sanitizer: I do know, it is a bizarre one- however the factor is, bathroom paper and cleaning soap aren’t at all times accessible they usually aren’t at all times free. So I at all times have an emergency roll on me. You may deliver a daily sized roll and stuff it into your bag, or you’ll be able to simply get a bit of travel sized dispenser that’s a lot smaller and simpler to make use of on the go. Additionally, at all times deliver some hand sanitizer with you – you’ll be able to deliver cleaning soap too, however hand sanitizer is far simpler to hold round than a moist bar of cleaning soap.
- Face Wash & Moisturizer: Journey is actually laborious in your pores and skin! It’s vital to scrub off a full day of sweat, salt, sand, fumes, dust, and no matter else you’ve obtained occurring each evening earlier than you fall asleep, after which moisturize to replenish your pores and skin’s pure barrier. (If all else fails, a minimum of deliver alongside some baby wipes, which was everything of my skincare routine proper up till I turned 30.)
- Shampoo & Conditioner: Deliver your individual shampoo & condtioner in travel-sized bottles to economize, lower down on plastic waste from these little hotel-sized samples, and shield your hair. We love utilizing solid shampoo and conditioner bars: they’re tremendous journey pleasant, good for the atmosphere (no plastic waste!) and received’t ever spill throughout your stuff.
- Menstrual Cup: Yup, vag issues. Skip this paragraph if pure processes of ladies’s our bodies make you uncomfortable. Pads and tampons are laborious to come back by whenever you’re touring, they usually’re usually costly. Plus they take up a bunch of house… to not point out they’re not environmentally pleasant. So I’ve given up fully on pads and tampons and totally embraced cup life. And it’s improbable! No extra leakage, which implies much less sink laundry. I can go away the cup in for a full day (or extra) with out having to fret about poisonous shock syndrome or no matter. And protecting your cup clear is straightforward: simply wash the cup with common cleaning soap and water. I spritz it with a bit of apple cider vinegar as effectively, and a few girls boil theirs each few months. I preserve mine in a bit of drawstring bag tucked into my toiletry bag – no fuss, no mess, no environmentally dangerous waste. Oh, and don’t fear, they’re truly very easy to place in. Should you’re contemplating making the swap, do it!
- Laundry Soap: Actually, most hostels we’ve stayed in provide laundry service. However we nonetheless like having the choice to do our personal laundry every time
we have towe run out of underwear (ahem). You don’t really want particular cleaning soap; common sturdy castile cleaning soap works nice. We like Dr. Bronner’s or biodegradable laundry wash. Simply cleaning soap your stuff up within the sink or within the bathe and hold it up within the solar to dry!
For extra particulars and solutions, comparable to my curly hair journey routine, my favourite skincare stuff, and the very best lipstick for
the arctic journey, head over to my makeup & beauty for travel guide!
Swimming & Snorkeling Necessities for Costa Rica
Let me simply get this out of the way in which: the water in Costa Rica is PERFECT and bathwater-warm on BOTH coasts. Coming to Costa Rica from Northern California, I’m at all times so offended that this is similar Pacific Ocean that we will’t even go online in with no full wetsuit. However I digress.
Whether or not you’re recognizing tropical fish on a snorkeling journey or simply listening to macaws cry to 1 one other (fwiw, that is what macaws appears like: WHAAAAAT?) you’re gonna need to go within the water in Costa Rica, like, as a lot as humanly attainable.
There are just a few important items of drugs you’ll need to deliver to maintain your self – and your underwater mates – secure and completely satisfied.
Right here’s what to pack for swimming and snorkeling:
- Reef-Safe Sunscreen: Going into the ocean? You have to put on reef-safe sunscreen. Except you hate coral, fish, and likewise all of human life. Reef-safe sunscreen is designed to biodegrade and never hurt ocean life. Regular sunscreen bleaches coral and ensures humanity’s swift dying from local weather change. So please, for the love of society’s inevitable collapse, put on reef-safe sunscreen in case you’re going into the ocean! Be aware that though reef-safe sunscreen is at all times mineral, not all mineral sunscreens are reef-safe. Sunscreen should use “non-nano zinc oxide” particles to be reef secure(more details here). That is my favorite reef-safe sunscreen, and I exploit this lightweight sunscreen on my face.
- Rash Guard/Swim Shirt: I’m gonna be sincere with you: reef secure sunscreen will not be the simplest to use. It’s thick and doesn’t soak in simply. However like, I really like animals and the atmosphere. So my answer is definitely to cowl up my pores and skin as a lot as attainable so I don’t HAVE to put on sunscreen. Win/win! Certain, chances are you’ll need to exhibit your tremendous cute swimsuit, however after sufficient terrible sunburns after hours of completely satisfied swimming or snorkeling, I’ve realized my lesson. I extremely suggest bringing alongside a long-sleeved rash guard, which is specifically designed for swimming in salt water. It feels the identical as swimsuit materials, dries shortly, and provides you loads of solar safety (additionally safety from stinging bits of jellyfish floating by within the water. Yup, I converse from expertise).
- Swim Leggings: My butt is at all times the very first thing to burn after I’m snorkeling. However swim leggings present full-coverage solar safety whereas letting you progress underwater with out restriction. Fast-drying swim leggings are designed to carry up in saltwater and chlorine and dry shortly when you’re out of the water (they’re additionally extremely comfy to stroll in, and stop the dreaded post-swim chub rub). I really like Waterlust’s swim leggings line as a result of the model is tremendous sustainable and helps conservation and anti-racism initiatives, plus their leggings are 100% chlorine, solar, saltwater and sunscreen resistant and constituted of recycled supplies. Oh, and their leggings have POCKETS! Sizes go as much as 3XL. For extra particulars, head over to the full review of my swim leggings!
- Snorkel Mask & Fins: For years every time we traveled to a snorkel-tastic vacation spot, we at all times wished we’d introduced our personal snorkel gear. We had been so envious of these individuals who rolled as much as the boat like “oh, we don’t want rental gear, now we have our personal.” Each time I met somebody with their very own gear on a tour I used to be like oh, you should be an knowledgeable – right here, you go first. They most likely obtained higher photos simply because we had been intimidated. Snorkels equal energy. Anyway, then we purchased our personal gear, and I used to be like … why did we wait so lengthy to do that?! Certain, my snorkel mask could look ridiculous, however I guarentee you it’s higher than something you’re going to get from a tour firm!
- Anti-Fog Spray: Even in case you don’t deliver your individual snorkel gear, a minimum of deliver your individual anti-fog answer. Each time we hire snorkel gear, we find yourself surfacing to furiously spit in our masks ever 10 minutes. So annoying! A bit of bottle of this may prevent a LOT of irritation.
- Water Shoes: For each minute that you simply’re not carrying flippers, you’ll need to be carrying water shoes. I swear by my trusty leather-based Tevas, and Jeremy additionally likes traditional close-toed water shoes.
- Dry Bag: Don’t set foot on a ship with out placing your stuff in a dry bag, simply in case. You by no means know when a wave/rogue sea lion goes to splash your sh*t. This one is superb, with a mesh part within the entrance that we use for moist bathing fits or towels. Plus, it comes with a telephone protector too, so you’ll be able to put on & use your telephone safely whereas white-water rafting, kayaking, or snorkeling!
- Travel Towel: Towels aren’t sometimes offered on snorkelling excursions, so we at all times deliver our personal full-sized, quick-drying travel towel.
Seaside Necessities for Costa Rica
From the white sand in Manuel Antonio Nationwide Park to volcanic rocks on the Osa Peninsula and the darkish sand seashores of Tortuguero, Costa Rica has loads of seashores to frolic on, lapped by splendidly heat water. And there’s often a turtle or macaw close by, too, as a result of Costa Rica is mainly paradise.
Right here’s what to pack in your baggage to deliver with you to the seashore:
- Several Swimsuits: There’s a great probability you’ll be leaping into the water day by day, so that you’ll need to deliver alongside a number of pairs of swimsuits so that you at all times have one thing dry to placed on! I’m a dimension 16/18, and my favourite swimsuit is this one, which I actually have in 3 totally different colours. It’s wonderful. It’s excellent. It’s a freakin’ steal! I additionally love this swimsuit, and that is my favourite one piece. For extra swimsuit picks, take a look at my information to swimsuits for curvy girls.
- Travel Towel: There’s completely no assure that the towels at your accomodation are going to suit round your waist. Frankly, they hardly ever match round my left thigh. Plus, they’re heavy and ponderous and you may get in bother for bringing them out of the resort. So simply to be secure, I at all times deliver my very own travel-friendly, light-weight, quick-drying travel towel!
- Travel Clothesline: Newsflash: your resort’s moist, darkish lavatory is absolutely the WORST place to hold your clothes as much as dry. As a substitute, hold this tiny travel clothesline up someplace that will get loads of airflow and solar, like on a curtain rod in entrance of the window! Your moist swimsuit and travel towel might be dry very quickly.
- Sand Repelling Beach Mat: I hate sand SO MUCH and this mat is made with magical sand-repelling qualities. If sand doesn’t make you need to go stay in an igloo perpetually, you’ll be able to at all times simply use your towel as a mat as a substitute!
On seashore days, we pack up our day bag with all of our seashore gear and a full bottle of chilly water to remain hydrated (our insulated water bottle retains water chilly for an unbelievably very long time). And naturally, tons and lot of sunscreen – don’t overlook to re-apply!
For extra beachy packing suggestions and curvy-girl particular solutions (ahem: do you will have chafe balm but??) head over to our beach vacation packing guide!
What to Pack for the Solar in Costa Rica
Costa Rica is simply 675 miles north of the equator, which implies the solar might be a LOT stronger than you’re used to again dwelling! So solar safety is actually, REALLY vital to guard your pores and skin. You’ll be doing your self a favor in the long term, and apart from – dangerous sunburns are trip ruining.
Listed below are the necessities to deliver with you in your journey to guard you from the solar:
- Reef-Safe Sunscreen: Going into the ocean? You have to put on reef-safe sunscreen. Except you hate coral, fish, and likewise all of human life. Reef-safe sunscreen is designed to biodegrade and never hurt ocean life. Regular sunscreen bleaches coral and ensures humanity’s swift dying from local weather change. So please, for the love of society’s inevitable collapse, put on reef-safe sunscreen in case you’re going into the ocean! As a enjoyable bonus incentive, it’s truly required by legislation in Hawai‘i. Though reef-safe sunscreen is at all times mineral, not all mineral sunscreens are reef-safe! Sunscreen should use “non-nano zinc oxide” particles to be reef secure (more details here). That is my favorite reef-safe sunscreen, and I exploit this lightweight sunscreen from Sephora on my face.
- Mineral Sunscreen: That is the least dangerous sort of sunscreen, in accordance with science. Mineral sunscreens use two pure minerals—zinc oxide and titanium dioxide—as energetic components. They mainly merely sit on prime of your pores and skin and shield it by bodily reflecting away UV rays, like tiny little mirrors. In the meantime, common chemical sunscreen soaks into your pores and skin and leads to your bloodstream (and breast milk, in accordance with this study) which squicks me out. Mineral sunscreens don’t soak into your pores and skin (in accordance with this study). So though mineral sunscreens can really feel a bit heavier than chemical sunscreens, I desire to make use of them anyway! I exploit this one for my physique, and for my face (which is extra delicate) I exploit this lightweight mineral sunscreen.
- Mineral Sunscreen Lip Balm: Don’t overlook to guard the fragile pores and skin in your lips from sunburn, too!
- Sun Hat: Who says solar safety isn’t cute? This comfy hat protects your face, neck, and chest from the solar and goes with each outfit. The adjustable band across the rim ensures that this hat will suit your head completely, and the neck wire means you’ll be able to put on it even when it’s windy! That is my go-to on a regular basis hat.
Along with on a regular basis solar safety, you’ll need to take additional care on days you’ll be spending extra time than standard out on the water, like on a snorkeling or kayaking tour and even simply whenever you’ll be swimming within the warmth of the afternoon solar.
I’m an enormous fan of carrying swim garments to guard your pores and skin and lower down on the quantity of sunscreen you’ll want to make use of! I extremely suggest bringing alongside a long-sleeved rash guard and a pair of swim leggings for solar safety throughout water sports activities.
Bear in mind: the extra your physique is roofed, the higher you’ll be shielded from the solar, and the extra environmentally pleasant your seashore trip might be! Psst: For extra eco-friendly and accountable journey suggestions, head over to our Ethical Travel Guide.
- Journey Tip: In case you DO get sunburnt, a bottle of aloe vera will assist. However an excellent higher sunburn therapy? Apple cider vinegar! It smells horrible but it surely works miracles to take the sting out of a foul burn and pace up the therapeutic course of. Plus, it doesn’t really feel sticky and gross in your pores and skin. I deliver a little spray bottle stuffed with ACV on each seashore journey.
What to Pack to Keep away from Bug Bites in Costa Rica
Nothing ruins a visit like a sleepless evening spent frantically attempting to disregard your itchy legs. Or worse, mosquito-bite-induced Dengue fever, which Jeremy caught in Panama as soon as (yeah, it sucked).
However the place there are stunning locations ready to be explored, there are bugs! So we’ve realized to make our peace with them – by means of the usage of extraordinarily efficient bug repellants. We completely swear by these 2 important bug repellants, and we hardly ever get bitten throughout our journey!
Right here’s what you’ll want to inform mosquitos to again the f*** up throughout your journey:
- Permethrin Spray: Let me introduce you to our favourite factor ever, Permethrin Spray. It’s a bug repellent which adheres solely to materials, leaves no odor or residue on garments, and doesn’t hurt human pores and skin. Consider it like a magical, invisible armor on all your garments! We suggest stocking up on just a few bottles earlier than your journey and spending a few days spraying down all your clothes, paying particular consideration to hems, cuffs, and socks (and extra-special consideration to no matter you’ll be sleeping in). Ensure you do it exterior, preserve pets away, and put on a masks, as a result of no one desires to inhale chemical compounds (which, incidnetally, is why I hate aerosol bug sprays). Permethrin spray lasts for as much as 6 machine washes, however … effectively, we don’t wash our garments fairly often on trip (ssh, don’t decide). Now you’ll solely must give attention to overlaying your pores and skin with bug repellant, which brings us to …
- Insect Repellant Lotion: Most insect repellents aren’t definitely worth the disagreeable oily feeling you get after making use of them, the icky hacking cough you develop after spraying them, or that skin-burning feeling you get after making use of 100000% chemical compounds to your pores and skin. There’s, nonetheless, one insect repellant that avoids these pitfalls, and it’s this wonderful lightweight Picaridin lotion. You rub it into your pores and skin and it absorbs loopy quick with no oily residue. It lasts all day and the protection is wonderful. It doesn’t odor disgusting, leaves no sticky or oily residue, and it’s by no means made my pores and skin burn. I find it irresistible, I swear by it, and sure, we undoubtedly hoard it in 1-gallon jugs. That is one in all our tried and examined journey necessities, and we sometimes get a LOT fewer bites than our journey companions! Choose up a few travel-sized 2oz bottles of lotion to soak up your keep on baggage, or go all out on the quart or gallon-sized dispenser and replenish some empty bottles like us!
What to Pack to Keep Wholesome in Costa Rica
Right here’s the excellent news: Costa Rica has improbable healthcare, which Lia was unlucky sufficient to experience first hand. It’s additionally a really clear nation: there are considerable sinks for hand-washing in every single place (thanks, pandemic, for that addition), faucet water is drinkable in a lot of the nation, you don’t really want to fret about meals preparation, and also you’re by no means very removed from a pharmacia or physician.
Each lavatory we’ve visited in Costa Rica has been clear and sanitary, and usually talking it’s been fairly straightforward to remain wholesome on all of our journeys to Costa Rica. With one notable exception, which is that each Lia AND her dad obtained terrible ear infections from river water – 20 years aside! The total story is in this post.
Right here’s the not-as-good information: you’re nonetheless touring, which implies exposing your physique to new issues, a few of which it might not like. Like, in Lia’s case, her ears (and her dad’s ears) REALLY don’t just like the river water in Costa Rica!
Relying on where you’re visiting, you may additionally should be barely nervous about malaria. And in case you didn’t take our recommendation about bug repellants, you’ll need to fear about dengue fever, zika, and another stuff – here’s the full list per the CDC. Most dangers in Costa Rica are bug chew associated, so scroll again up in case you skipped that part!
However there truthfully, Costa Rica is a fairly straightforward place to remain wholesome! Simply drink loads of tropical fruit batidos, get plenty of sleep, prevent bug bites, and chill out. Pura vida!
Listed below are the necessities to pack to maintain you feeling clear, wholesome, and completely satisfied.
- Dramamine: Dramamine is our lifeline. Lia will get movement sick simply by pondering too laborious about it. So on journey days or anytime that we’ll be boarding a aircraft, practice, bus, or boat, she pops a non-drowsy Dramamine and stays nausea free all day lengthy!
- Vaccinations: Chances are you’ll want some vaccinations earlier than you allow, like Yellow Fever and Tetanus. All the time test the CDC recommendations for the precise areas you’ll be visiting to see what you would possibly want earlier than your journey, and make an appointment together with your physician (or go to a journey clinic) upfront!
- Anti-Diarheals: Traveler’s diarrhea is, annoyingly, quite common. Imodium is important to have readily available when touring, and we additionally swear by DiaResQ. Most different fundamental first assist will most likely be fairly straightforward to seek out in case you want it!
- Stomach Enzymes: I’ve an simply upset abdomen. My physique doesn’t like dairy …or gluten …or corn… or salt … something processed … something scrumptious…. FML. Nevertheless it’s actually tough to manage what’s in your meals whereas touring, and generally the one factor that’s accessible is one thing that my abdomen received’t like. So I at all times deliver alongside my trusty abdomen enzymes. They include the issues my abdomen appears to lack to assist it break down the weather in numerous meals and digest them. Since taking abdomen enzymes I’ve significantly lowered cases of heartburn or indigestion, and seen an enormous enhance in my well being from the extra available vitamins that my abdomen is now in a position to unpack and make the most of! These are a lifesaver for me whereas touring.
- Reusable Water Bottle: Hydration is essential when touring! However please don’t purchase a plastic water bottle day by day of your journey – that’s horrible for the atmosphere! We suggest bringing alongside an insulated water bottle that retains water chilly all day lengthy.
- Lifestraw Water Bottle: Should you’ll be venturing to someplace locations the place the faucet water is a bit of iffy, you’ll need to deliver alongside this water bottle with a built-in Lifestraw. It helps you to drink water proper from the faucet, or a unclean puddle, or wherever else you’re feeling prefer it – all completely filtered and secure.
- Ear Plugs: Lia has extremely delicate ears. Loud noises (like boat motors, or planes) give her tinnitus, and river water the flawed approach will give her an ear an infection. So she at all times brings alongside
What to Pack to Keep Secure in Costa Rica
Though Costa Rica is mostly a fairly secure nation to go to, you’ll need to take some fundamental precautions to maintain your self secure, significantly in an enormous metropolis like San Jose.
We’re extremely accident-prone, so we’re additional cautious to maintain ourselves secure and stop theft – we’ve obtained an entire publish in regards to the security precautions we at all times take when touring: read it here.
One of the vital issues we’ve realized is that traveler’s insurance coverage is a must have for journey security! It protects you in case of a medical emergency, theft, and even covers the price of your journey if it’s a must to cancel it or finish it early for a coated motive, like a dying in your rapid household or sudden sickness.
We use World Nomads journey insurance coverage for each worldwide journey and even contains excessive sports activities. We’ve needed to file a number of claims with World Nomads and suggest them based mostly on our expertise. You’ll want to learn all particulars to be sure to perceive precisely what you’re paying for and learn how to use it within the case of an emergency (often there’s a quantity to name or an electronic mail tackle to contact in case you need assistance).
Now that you simply’re typically protected, right here’s a few of our favourite security journey gear.
- Lightweight Combination Locks: These little locks are extra of a deterrent than something heavy-duty. However most informal thieves are searching for a simple mark: a pocket to slide their palms into shortly, a bag left unlocked on a bus, and so on. We lock each zipper on all of our baggage with these little locks and except for somebody working off with our complete day bag as soon as (don’t fear! We obtained it again!) we by no means had something stolen. Vital aspect observe: TSA-friendly travel locks are nice for checked baggage, however for our day baggage and non-checked baggage we truly desire locks that AREN’T TSA pleasant, as a result of it’s tremendous straightforward to fabricate the important thing that opens EVERY TSA lock. Ahhh!
- Journey Secure Pockets: One of many largest errors you may make whereas touring is carrying a pockets, particularly in your again pocket. For any run-of-the-mill pickpocket, that’s the primary place to look. Some folks say put your pockets in your entrance pocket, however why danger it? As a substitute, we decide to put on two totally different sorts of journey secure wallets: a money belt for Jeremy and a bra pocket (AKA Brocket) for Lia. We even have a zippered passport pocket that may maintain a telephone too, which we solely actually wanted on journey days. And we’ve every obtained an emergency stash of money and playing cards that stays buried in our backpacks secure and sound in our resort or hostel, in case we’re robbed whereas out and about.
Journey Tech to Pack for Costa Rica
As journey bloggers and part-time digital nomads, we deliver much more gear than is critical on journeys (here’s what we actually bring, in case you’re curious). The overwhelming majority of individuals merely don’t must schlep alongside a tripod and two Macbook Professionals!
There are just a few techy journey necessities that we do suggest bringing alongside to maintain you linked and … taking photos and stuff. Right here’s all of the journey tech to deliver with you in your journey:
- Binoculars: The most convenient little tech gear you’ll ever overlook to deliver alongside! We’re infamous for leaving our binoculars at dwelling after which spending our entire journey like “is that an animal? I can’t actually inform from right here …” Don’t be us! Stick some travel-friendly binoculars into your day-bag and simply go away them there.
- External Battery: There’s no feeling worse than not understanding the place you might be or having the ability to converse the native language, and watching your telephone battery fade into nothingness. Certain, vacationers sans cellphones had been most likely hardier, however personally, I’m virtually at all times misplaced (even at dwelling). I RELY on my telephone, and the detailed travel planning documents and offline maps I preserve saved in it to assist me orient myself. So bringing alongside a strong exterior battery is a should every time I journey. This one expenses my telephone like 5x earlier than I must recharge it, which is nice as a result of my goldfish reminiscence can be dangerous at remembering to maintain issues charged! This smaller version is much more travel-friendly.
- Travel-Friendly Laptop: Our beloved little Chromebook was as soon as our main journey laptop computer. It’s able to something you want whereas on the street – sure, even managing a weblog (as long as you don’t want complicated stuff like Photoshop)! I truly began and ran the weblog on this factor for a full 12 months and a half. It’s tremendous light-weight and extremely quick. Certain, you want Wi-Fi for many of its functionality, however we by no means have points discovering Wi-Fi (GOOD Wi-Fi was extra of a problem). Plus, it’s comparatively cheap, so that you don’t must be as afraid of it getting damaged or stolen – and if it does, all your stuff is already safely backed up on the Cloud. I as soon as had my Chromebook stolen (within the USA). The thief was so dissatisfied with it that they really introduced it again to the place they’d taken it. I used to be thrilled – and I’d already added a brand new one to my Amazon cart!
- GoPro: You didn’t come all this strategy to NOT get underwater footage of your self residing your greatest mermaid life, did you?? You gotta have a GoPro! They’re palms down the very best digital camera for capturing footage underwater. Simply be sure to additionally choose up the Standard Housing, the waterproof case that you simply’ll undoubtedly want earlier than you go underwater! For a extra budget-friendly possibility, this waterproof action camera may also do the trick.
- Travel Friendly Camera: Though our digital camera of alternative is a hefty, skilled degree Sony A7R II, you don’t want all that to get nice photographs of your trip. If you wish to take issues up a notch out of your telephone (otherwise you’d quite preserve your telephone tucked safely away)we extremely suggest bringing alongside a journey pleasant pocket-sized Canon Powershot, which seems deceptively low cost and old school to potential thieves however truly takes AMAZING photographs. That is what we used earlier than we finally upgraded to an expensive DSLR. For sweeping panorama pictures, a GoPro (or this cheaper equivalant) is a superb alternative. Simply be sure to deliver alongside a reminiscence card!
- Solar Powered Flashlight: This flashlight is superior, and tremendous useful for locating the toilet or navigating at evening. You’ll by no means want batteris and also you’ll at all times have a bit of mild whenever you want it. We preserve ours clipped onto the skin of our backpacks so it’s charging every time we’re exterior. Environmentally pleasant AND handy!
- e-Reader or Kindle: There’s nothing higher than spending an entire, luxurious afternoon laying in a hammock studying a very good guide. However books are heavy and take up loads of house in your baggage, so we desire e-readers! Our Kindle Fireplace is our fixed journey companion on planes and in hostels. (Besides we solely have one, so we’re continuously preventing over it.)
Whew, that’s all the pieces! Do you will have any questions on what to pack for Costa Rica? Drop us a remark under!
Psst: On the lookout for extra journey suggestions? Take a look at a few of our different useful posts!