I consider Mexico as a treasure trove of lovely locations to discover and regardless that I’ve lived right here for almost two years, I’m reminded on a regular basis that I’ve solely simply scratched the floor. Guests from all around the world flock to locations like Cancún, Tulum and Cabo San Lucas to benefit from the attractive seashores right here, however I can guarantee you that there’s a lot extra to find off the overwhelmed path in Mexico. Come for the breathtaking landscapes and stick round for the scrumptious meals, cultural richness, and heat hospitality:
10. San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas
This pueblo mágico, or “magic city” because it’s referred to as in Mexico, has the laid again ambiance you’d count on from a small metropolis, however with a religious undercurrent that’s current virtually in every single place you go. As a hub for permaculture lovers, yogis, and religious healers, this a an awesome vacation spot for anybody in search of a transformative journey expertise.
What to do in San Cristóbal de las Casas:
- Climb the steps at La Iglesia de Guadalupe or La Iglesia de San Cristobalito to get the perfect views of town.
- Discover close by Eco Parks like Arcotete, Montetik, or El Encuentro to get out into nature.
- Go to one of many many native museums such because the Jade Museum, Cacao Museum, or Ambar Museum. Every of those showcases an essential a part of the native tradition.
- Stroll alongside the well-known andadores, or strolling streets. These streets are closed off to visitors and actually the hub for all the perfect eating places on the town and an awesome place to buy.
- Bonus: Take a day journey to San Juan de Chamula to immerse your self within the indigenous traditions and tradition or head over to Chiapa de Corzo to attempt some scrumptious native meals and store for handmade textiles.
The place to remain in San Cristóbal de las Casas:
- La Isla Hostal is a superb place for budget-conscious travellers in search of a way of group.
- Na Bolom is a resort and museum with a trigger, working along with an area nonprofit to assist the encircling communities.
- Sombra del Agua has a shocking backyard courtyard and is centrally situated.
9. San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato
Identified to be one of the vital architecturally vital cities in Mexico, San Miguel de Allende could have you strolling together with your head craned again to absorb all of the brilliantly coloured buildings. This can be a metropolis I might advocate spending as a lot time in as you possibly can–however watch out since you simply would possibly by no means wish to depart!
What to do in San Miguel de Allende:
- Take a historical walking tour to absorb the beautiful colonial structure and be taught extra in regards to the historical past of this iconic Mexican metropolis.
- Go to the Fábrica La Aurora, which was an outdated cloth mill. Now it has been transformed into an area for artwork galleries, retailers, and cafes and is among the trendiest locations within the metropolis.
- Discover the Mercado de Artesanías to see textiles, handicrafts, and way more from throughout the nation.
- Try the native produce on the Mercado de San Juan de Dios the place yow will discover regional delights and marvel on the number of fruit and veggies.
- Get outdoors town to see the World Heritage Website of Santuario de Atotonilco, which is a church complicated that was constructed within the Seventeenth century. It’s often called the “Sistine Chapel of Mexico” due to its breathtaking murals.
- Bonus: Inside Mexico, San Miguel is definitely identified for its vineyards which is perhaps shocking contemplating how well-known the nation is for its mezcal and tequila. Try the winery Dos Buhos and sip on some native wine.
The place to remain in San Miguel de Allende:
8. Santiago de Queretaro
Positioned virtually adjoining to San Miguel de Allende, typically travellers overlook Santiago de Queretaro. Nonetheless, it actually has its personal id as a culturally vital metropolis and is even identified to be top-of-the-line locations in Mexico for solo feminine vacationers. That’s a win-win should you ask me!
What to do in Santiago de Queretaro:
- Wander across the UNESCO-listed metropolis heart, which has magnificence round each nook. This a part of town is filled with andadores, or strolling streets, which make it extremely accessible and straightforward to navigate.
- My absolute favourite place to go to in a brand new Mexican metropolis is the market. Discover all of the native delights at Mercado la Cruz and possibly even seize a chew to eat whilst you’re there.
- Go to the El Cerrito pyramid which was constructed centuries in the past by the traditional Chichimeca individuals.
- Queretaro is understood for having among the greatest wine in Mexico, so contemplate taking a wine and cheese tour whilst you’re there.
- Take your self on a whole tour of the plentiful museums, ensuring to cease on the Museo Regional (INAH) and the Museo de Arte de Querétaro.
- Head to Jardín de Cerveza Hércules for a chilly regionally brewed beer. This hip spot is definitely inside an outdated textile manufacturing facility and tends to draw a youthful crowd.
The place to remain in in Santiago de Queretaro:
- Lunar de Casa Zen is a quaint and inexpensive Airbnb and even has a yoga studio on-site.
- Antigua Altamira residences have all of the coziness and luxury you want for an extended keep.
7. San Luis Potosí
San Luis Potosí has made its approach to many bucket lists primarily for its unimaginable pure wonders close by. From waterfalls to crystal clear lagoons to surreal structure, this charming metropolis has all of it.
What to do in San Luis Potosí:
- Take a fast journey over to the Micos waterfalls. The doorway payment is simply 40 pesos (about $2USD) and you’ll really Skybike over the waterfalls to see them from above.
- One other stellar waterfall, Cascada de Tamul is one which you could really take pleasure in by canoe! Trip alongside the river under the waterfall or take a hike to the highest to see it from a unique angle.
- Go to La Huasteca Potosina, which is just a few hours’ drive from town however completely well worth the journey. It’s a lush space stuffed with cenote-like ponds, waterfalls, and even scorching springs. Consider taking a tour there should you’re not acquainted with the world because it’s fairly distant.
- In contrast to another place on this planet, Edward James’ Las Pozas in Xilitla is each unusual and alluring. It’s an awesome day journey from San Luis Potosi and contains gardens, ponds, and actually distinctive structure.
The place to remain in San Luis Potosí:
- Hotel Museo Palacio de San Agustin is situated in a Seventeenth-century constructing and has all of the allure you’d count on from an outdated colonial resort. They even supply horse drawn carriage excursions of town!
- Casa Catalina is totally lovely and has an eclectic Mexican flare.
6. Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca
Puerto Escondido is a well-liked vacation spot for surfers from throughout Latin America and has grown significantly in recognition in the previous couple of years. It’s a hub for hippie counterculture and backpackers due to its laid again ambiance and lengthy stretches of resort-free seashores.
What to do in Puerto Escondido:
- Take an extended stroll alongside Playa Zicatela. Maintain an eye fixed out for child turtles and different creatures on the shore.
- Go for a nighttime tour at Laguna de Manialtepec to see the unimaginable bioluminescent waters mild up.
- Take a surf lesson at Playa Carrizalillo the place the waves are excellent for novices.
- Take an aerial silks, yoga, or dance class at Casa Chango to get your physique transferring and possibly even be taught a brand new talent.
- Bonus: In case you’re loving the hippie vibe of Puerto Escondido, contemplate making a visit over to Mazunte, which is one other neat seashore city that backpackers love.
The place to remain in Puerto Escondido:
- Hotel Escondido is a Puerto favourite with its trendy decor and serene vibe.
- Bikini Beach House has a cool indoors-meets-outdoors ambiance and superb seashore views.
- Barbarenas has cool earthen beachfront bungalows in case you wish to get immersed within the yogi vibe of the world.
5. Mazatlan, Sinaloa
Positioned on the Pacific Coast, Mazatlan boasts among the greatest sand and surf that Mexico has to supply. This small metropolis has skilled a current increase in tourism, however has retained most of its small city really feel.
What to do in Mazatlan:
- Proper whenever you get into city, exit and stroll alongside the Malecon to get a really feel for the city and take within the ocean views.
- Stroll via town heart, ensuring to cease at Machado Sq. to absorb the picturesque structure.
- Take a hike to the El Faro lighthouse for some much more spectacular views of the ocean. There’s a path main as much as it that takes simply half-hour or so to climb.
- Catch a wave at Playa Brujas the place you possibly can hire a surfboard and even take a surf lesson should you fancy it.
- Bonus: From Mazatlan, you possibly can take a ferry over to Isla de la Piedra the place you will get away from the enterprise of city and take a swim. It’s not technically an island, however it will in any other case take an hour to drive there, making the ferry a a lot better wager.
The place to remain in Mazatlan:
- There are a variety of giant chain lodges in Mazatlan, making Airbnb a better option should you’re in search of one thing cozier. Check out this one that has a laid again really feel.
- Casa Lulu is a boutique resort that’s situated proper on the favored Malecon.
4. La Paz, Baja California Sur
Named for its peaceable waters, La Paz is a superb place to calm down and soak up nature. Positioned close to the underside of the California isthmus, this sunny seashore vacation spot is usually neglected due to its proximity to Cabo San Lucas. Nonetheless, it has a vibe of its personal and is unquestionably price a go to.
What to do in La Paz:
- Take within the ocean views of the Malecon boardwalk. There you’ll discover loads of retailers and eating places to peruse via as you stroll.
- Exit to Isla Espiritu Santo, a UNESCO biosphere reserve that’s identified for its sea lions. If you wish to catch a glimpse of those superb animals, be sure that to not ebook your journey between June 1 to September 1 throughout child sea lion season.
- Take in the solar at Playa El Coromuel, which is internationally acknowledged as one of many cleanest and eco-friendly seashores in Mexico.
- See whale sharks of their pure habitat. This tour firm arranges snorkelling excursions, too!
- Go to the Museo de Antropología e Historia de Baja California Sur to be taught extra in regards to the space’s historical past and tradition.
The place to remain in La Paz:
- Hostel Bermejo is a superb budget-friendly hostel that has personal rooms and dorms. It’s located only a couple blocks from the seashore and strolling distance to eating places.
- Hotel Catedral has a contemporary flare and stellar views from their rooftop which additionally has a pool.
3. Monterrey, Nuevo Leon
Monterrey is a large metropolis and identified all through México as being loads like a mini-Mexico Metropolis. Nonetheless, a visit there’ll show that this vacation spot has is personal distinctive ambiance that units it aside from many different locations within the nation. From the quintessential norteño gastronomy to the colourful artwork scene, you received’t wish to miss this one.
What to do in Monterrey:
- Peruse via The Palacio del Obispado, an 18th century palace with sensible colonial structure. It’s dwelling to the Regional Museum as effectively, which showcases Monterrey’s historical past and tradition.
- Go to the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Monterrey (MARCO) to take a look at modern artwork from Mexican and Latin American artists. Contained in the MARCO there are 11 galleries, every with their very own type.
- Take a tour of the outdated city Barrio Antiguo, the place you possibly can really feel the nostalgia of colonial instances. This neighborhood can also be a scorching spot for some tasty eating places and nightlife.
- In case you’re a rock climber and even only a nature fanatic, head out to Parque la Huasteca for an journey. With over 300 climbing routes and loads of surroundings, it’s top-of-the-line locations within the metropolis to get open air.
- Discover the Garcia caves only a quick drive from town. These underground marvels are identified for his or her spectacular stalactites and stalagmites.
The place to remain in Monterrey:
2. Mérida, Yucatán
Mérida holds a particular place in my coronary heart as a result of I studied overseas there in faculty and it’s the backdrop for a few of my most cherished recollections in Mexico. Past that, it’s an superior place to go to for a lot of causes, considered one of them being that it’s completely beautiful!
You’ll discover lovely structure round each nook, a energetic metropolis heart that appears to all the time have a cultural occasion taking place, and gastronomy that’s certain to make your style buds very completely satisfied.
What to do in Mérida:
- Get pleasure from every part happening within the Plaza Grande. On Friday nights, they’ve performers reenacting the standard Mayan juego de pelota or “ball sport” with a flaming rubber ball. On Sundays you possibly can catch some conventional dances and discover the popup tents throughout Merida en domingo.
- Do a strolling tour. There may be one day by day at 10am in Parque Santa Lucia and it’s free, though a tip of not less than 100 pesos is advisable (that’s about $5 USD).
- Go take a dip in a cenote. There are actually hundreds of cenotes within the Yucatán peninsula to select from. A couple of of my private favorites are Chaksikin and Cascabel that are only a quick drive away.
- Hop from place to put alongside the Paseo de Montejo, which is an extended avenue dotted with museums, historic websites, and a few of Mérida’s greatest eating places.
- Get acquainted with the Mayan tradition on the Gran Museo del Mundo Maya. This superb museum showcases the fascinating historical past of the Maya individuals and provides guests perception into the tradition that’s nonetheless current at the moment.
The place to remain in Mérida:
- Piedra de Agua is a super-chic small resort that’s ideally situated within the centro historico.
- Ya’ax Hotel Boutique has that luxurious feeling with the trendy Yucatecan structure and design that may be a excellent mixture of latest and outdated.
I first visited Campeche again in 2017 and knew little about it beforehand. To my delight, this small coastal metropolis was so enjoyable to discover and has an enchanting historical past. There nonetheless stands historical Mayan ruins alongside pirate forts and the quintessential Spanish structure, creating an environment that’s distinctive to this vibrant metropolis.
What to do in Campeche:
- Stroll via the “outdated metropolis” a part of city, which is a UNESCO World Heritage web site. Alongside the oceanfront malecón, there are all the time quite a lot of road carts with tasty treats and contemporary coconuts.
- Try the Museo de Arquitectura Maya, the place you possibly can study Mayan structure.
- Go to the forts, which have been constructed to guard town from pirates again within the 18th century. There are two primary forts to see, Fuerte San José and Fuerte San Miguel, that are each on the outskirts of town.
- Enterprise out to see the flamingos at Celestún. It’s a pair hours outdoors Campeche, however undoubtedly well worth the day journey. When you get there, you possibly can take a ship via the shallow waters and see a whole lot of flamingos. The perfect time to go is in March when their flocks are the most important.
- Bonus: A fast day journey to the Mayan ruins at Edzna is crucial should you’re going to Campeche. In case you assume Chichen Itza is spectacular, Edzna is simply as fascinating and has a fraction of the group.
The place to remain in Campeche:
- Hacienda Puerta Campeche is opulent and charming. Whereas its on the pricier finish, it’s nonetheless accessible and has superb facilities.
- Casa Don Gustavo has a mode that’s so uniquely Mexican that it’ll actually make you are feeling such as you stepped again into the nineteenth century with its quirky decor.
I’m right here to inform you that Mexico is filled with magical locations which might be far much less touristy than the crowded seashore locations that we’re used to listening to about. Attending to a few of these places may not be as easy or easy, however are fully price the additional planning. Not solely will you get to take pleasure in some superb surroundings in these locations, however you may also attempt among the most scrumptious meals of your life and genuinely have a good time.